Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lawyers Embrace Big Data



http://ow.ly/bRayc

An article by Eric Savitz published by Forbes discussing Big Data, and requests for production of electronically stored information.

The article states, "The updated rules (Federal Rules of Civil Procedure) created the concept of eDiscovery, and raised the costs and time required given the need to examine records stored in an unstructured manner on network drives, PCs and PDAs. Today, eDiscovery is standard operating procedure during a trial."

The article also mentions other ways in which "Big Data" can be used to transform the legal profession, such as the ability to track and analyze legal invoices to help create a more cost-efficient legal practice.

The article states, "eDiscovery and legal billing rates only scratch the surface of the potential power “big data” has in the legal industry. Many other sources of data can be analyzed to offer insights and identify trends. Service of process records can help legal professionals identify litigation trends; trademark filings can support intellectual property practitioners’ efforts to gain competitive advantage; and commercial lending activity can help M&A counsel better predict risk.

There are enormous opportunities for big data to transform the legal services business."




5 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with these rules but I wonder if this is related to what I saw in the system of a law firm in Houston in where they are putting most of their documents and files in the computer to make a systematic and advanced process in their office. Nevertheless, I think this is a good system when implemented well by lawyers in their offices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. USA Lawyers Directory

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. USA Lawyers Directory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site. USA Lawyers Directory

    ReplyDelete